Limerick - Atlantic Edge, European Embrace
Limerick where our edge has been sharpened as much by harsh atlantic wins as by the tough trials of history. At the edge of the Shannon where the river meets the ocean there is a city on an island - Limerick!
Limerick offers energy, excitement, grit and limitless possibilities. Limerick sits in an enviable position, boasting some of the best connections across Ireland and beyond to Europe, the USA and the rest of the world. But this geographical position amounts to more than a mere grid reference on a map.
Limerick looks out across the Atlantic, the Americas are just five hours away. And it is also an integral part of Europe, with its millennia of rich history.
This dual aspect has informed the character of the place. A rich combination of the verve that built America and the openness, experience and cultural appeal of Europe.
Limerick - Atlantic Edge, European Emrace invites you to come visit, enjoy, live & work here!
We encourage all visitors to discover all Limerick has to offer!
Limerick for Visitors
- Limerick’s food scene, markets, restaurants and pubs combine the innovative with the traditional, while being welcoming, family friendly, full of art, music and easy-going people.
- The start of the Great Southern Greenway trail to the coast through some of the continent’s most enticing countryside and villages ; The home of outdoor, river and water-based adventures, suitable for everyone.
- The gateway to The Wild Atlantic Way from a city whose identity is forged by European history, culture and art. Limerick is close to nature while acting as a stage for street artists, live music and a calendar of cultural events.
Limerick for Business
- A highly connected destination in Europe that, uniquely, is as close to the Americas as it is to 26 EU nations.
- Young, talented and English-speaking Europe’s most youthful, educated and English-speaking local population, nearly 50% under 35, with tens of thousands of university or college students within its catchment area.
- Cost effective, competitive and collaborative: Lower outlays, room to expand - quality current and future office space - a high yet affordable quality of life, as well as work/life balance, all backed by resourced stakeholder support across the entire region - and especially true compared to elsewhere in Ireland and Western Europe.
- The home of some of the world’s most pioneering and/or established international businesses, including Uber, Dell, Northern Trust, Johnson & Johnson, Analog, General Motors, Regeneron and Viagogo. In 2018, Limerick was also named (a) European City of the Future by the Financial Times.
Study in Limerick
- Limerick’s highly rated academic institutions- UL, LIT, MIC and LSAD – offer student-centric, future-focused undergraduate to post-doctoral studies, with an eye on employability. Some Third Level institutions even have a US-style campus and grading system.
- With nearly 25,000 students making up a quarter of city’s population, it’s also young, vibrant, safe and supportive. Students find it easy to get around the compact and welcoming city, even though it’s the country’s third largest.
- Fast growing, bridging two worlds Excellent employment opportunities locally, but also with an eye to the US/Canada and across the E
- Strategic, scenic and sociable Limerick is the capital of the visually striking West of Ireland, easily accessible internationally and domestically. walkable city, with shopping, incredible food, nightlife, live music and sport.